With Bike To Work Day coming up, we’ve got biking on the brain. Where will you be on May 14th? Why not ride to work and stop by our Energizer Station at 1000 Franklin Pkwy, on the corner of Saratoga, 7-9 a.m., sponsored by Kaiser, Whole Foods Market San Mateo and Bay Meadows.
In the meantime, in the spirit of the bicycling “season,” (though lots of commuters do it everyday), we present to you ten things to do within a six-mile ride from Bay Meadows.
Visit ‘em all at once or take 10 Saturdays to ride your bicycle to these fun places in our beautiful city. And for a chance to win a PUBLIC bike, snap a pic and tag @baymeadowslife with #BTWSanMateo + #HowIRoll. Learn more here>
- Bike To Work Day Energizer Station at 1000 Franklin Pkwy, corner of Saratoga / .6 miles or 4 minutes – Do a practice run to the Energizer Station ahead of May 14th’s Bike to Work Day.
- Philz Coffee, 113 South B St. / 2.5 miles or 10 minutes – Charge your batteries with the tastiest single-cup-brew around.
- CREAM of San Mateo, 134 South B St. / 2.5 miles or 10 minutes – Reward yourself with one of CREAM’s signature ice-cream cookie sandwiches.
- KitchenTown Café & Kitchen Incubator, 1007 Howard Ave. / 4 miles or 20 minutes – Get inspired by local food producers and entrepreneurs in this beautifully designed space. And, then, order a Sightglass Coffee … just ‘cause you can.
- Whole Food Market, Park Place, San Mateo / ½-mile or 3 minutes – Heal those aches and pains from biking all the way here with wellness products, such as epsom salts or arnica gel.
- Coyote Point Recreation Area, 1701 Coyote Point, San Mateo / 4.2 miles or 22 minutes – If you’ve got the kids in tow on bike seats, explore the Magic Mountain Playground or just set up lunch at a picnic table by the bay.
- Draper University, former Franklin Hotel, 2.4 miles or 11 minutes – Shoot a selfie in front of this popular hub for startup magic.
- Talbot’s Cyclery, 445 South B Street / 2.5 miles or 11 minutes – Pick up some accessories, a regional bike map, chat up the staff for their favorite rides.
- Japanese Garden, Central Park, downtown San Mateo / 2.1 miles or 10 minutes – Park your bike while you take in the serenity of this local treasure.
- The Fish Market, 1855 South Norfolk Street / 1.8 miles or 10 minutes – Wherever you biked today, wind it all down at this institution: clam chowder & a wedge salad!
Bay Meadows is a family-friendly neighborhood with lots of green space to enjoy all year long. Whether its growing your own vegetables in a gorgeous community garden with expert guidance, playing a game of pick-up basketball after work, team building over bocce and beers, or picnicking with friends and family on warm summer nights for Movies in the Meadow,there’s no shortage of green space to explore. If you have little ones, don’t miss Momdays on Mondays in Paddock Park!