Did you know that Bike To Work Day is for anyone, even some folks who have never considered biking to work before? Where will you be on May 12th?
Are you a Bay Meadows resident? We hope you’ll join us on Bike to Work Day, so that we can break our record! We aim to bring out more of our residents than ever to stop by our Energizer Station at 1000 Franklin Pkwy (sponsored by Kaiser and Bay Meadows), on the corner of Saratoga, 7-9 a.m. on May 12th.
Not a resident at Bay Meadows? All the more reason to swing by our Energizer station to learn about our fun community AND for the coolest bike accessories and friendliest people.
Maybe you’re saying to yourself, “I don’t have time to commute by bike!” Did you know that research shows that bikes are 50% faster than cars during rush hour?
Before you say “The roads aren’t bike-friendly,” San Mateo has 45 miles of bikeways! You can download a County bike map to see popular routes. Plus, on Bike to Work Day, you’ll be joined by a big group watching out for one another on their two-wheels.
Soon, the City of San Mateo will even offer bike-sharing, with its soon-to-launch Bay Bikes program. Need a guide to figure out how to make connections via a variety of transportation methods? Visit Connect San Mateo for putting together a sensible commute.
There’s really no better time to try commuting by two wheels than on Bike to Work Day.
In the spirit of the bicycling “season” (though lots of commuters do it everyday), we offer 5 ways to make your bike commute a fun and safe journey.
- Can you solve your “last mile” problem by taking your bike on Caltrain? Absolutely! Caltrain recently added more capacity to its bike-cars, and that means more room for bicycles and commuters. Learn how to take your bike on Caltrain here >
- How does bicycling compare to other forms of aerobic exercise? Bicycling is one of the best low-impact forms of aerobic exercise. Jogging or cycling can delay aging by 12 years, according to some studies.
- How does bicycling contribute to a clean environment? A) bicycling uses no fuel B) Bicycles take much less energy to manufacture than a car C) Bikes don’t require toxic batteries or motor oil.
- What can I do to prevent injuries while bicycling? Always wear a helmet and follow these other safety tips that can be found on 511.org’s bicycling section > Also, make sure you’ve got a properly fitted bike, which helps you spend less energy and prevents injuries to your joints.
- How can I be sure bike commuting is for me? You’ll never know until you try and Bike to Work Day guarantees you’ll have a group of supporters nearby to help. See you on the 12th!
As we develop community, we want to see how you live or play at Bay Meadows and beyond. Share your fun San Mateo lifestyle photos with our community by using #baymeadowslife and check out our Twitter and Instagram profiles to stay updated on everything #baymeadowslife related. For easier event, photo, and building updates, make sure to follow our Facebook page.
And for a chance to win a PUBLIC bike, snap a pic and tag @baymeadowslife with #BTWSanMateo + #HowIRoll. Learn more here>