2016 –The Numbers, the Highlights
As 2016 winds down, we’re looking back and reflecting on how the Bay Meadows community has transformed over the year.
The neighborhood has seen significant physical changes, but it’s the personal, day-to-day life milestones for residents that comprise an authentic community. It’s been a year of new babies, new students at the Nueva School, new PUBLIC bikes for new homeowners, new gardening skills learned in Persimmon Park and new BFFs.
While we can’t capture all the stories or every last detail, we present to you a sliver of life at Bay Meadows this year, by the numbers.
- 1,500 residents now living at Bay Meadows. They share harvest from the community garden. They shoot hoops in Paddock Park. They walk to grocery shopping at Whole Foods. They bike the local San Mateo trails. They stroll to Caltrain together on weekday mornings to go to work. They organize neighborly get-togethers. They help raise funds for charities. They … are an active bunch! And more neighbors will join them in 2017.
- 350 students and staff learning, teaching and thriving at Nueva School.
- 45 – Percentage of residents who commute via Caltrain
- 12 – Percentage of residents who bring their bikes on Caltrain
- 420 Homes, including townhomes and apartments, are now completed or under construction.
- 68 Affordable homes were approved by the City Council this year to be built at Bay Meadows by Bridge Housing.
- 383,000 Square-feet of office space complete or under construction over two office buildings, Stations 3 and 4.
- 1 Company, SurveyMonkey, moves into their shiny new HQs at Bay Meadows Station 4.
- 18 – Flavors offered by soon-to-open Bay Meadows’ retailer Tin Pot Creamery. Some favorites include Blackberry Jamble, Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie and Earl Grey.
- 319 – The number of years between the opening of the original Blue Bottle Coffee house in Vienna and the opening of the first Blue Bottle Coffee in San Francisco … which will now be coming to Bay Meadows!
- 300+ – Wagging tails accompanied by their happy owners at the weekly seasonal Twilight Tails on Thursday evenings in Landing Green Park.
- 104 – Residents who biked by the Bay Meadows Bike To Work Day energizer station.
100 – Finalists entered into our annual Fame by Frame photo contest. Read all about the annual artsy contest here >
- 50 Licks to finish a 1-scoop ice-cream cone at the Residents’ July Ice Cream Social
- 30+ – Fun fitness events for the community, including pop-up Yoga, Zumba, bike excursions, and hoops clinics.
- 22 – Dads attended our Father’s Day Craft Beer Tasting event
- 8 – Number of liquors involved in the Rubbing Elbows’ Mixology Workshop!
RED HOT ROUNDUP
- 40 wings consumed by Spicy Wing-Eating contestant Sergio Rayas
- 750 Happy attendees
Infinite number of smiles at Bay Meadows!
Looking to mix up your fitness routine? Meet your neighbors and enjoy the fresh air with pop-up fitness and yoga classes at Bay Meadows. Is gardening more your speed? Our monthly Dig It! Workshops in Persimmon Park are free and open to the public. Also, keep an eye out for our annual Fame by Frame photo contest and exhibit. Check out our Facebook page for more events.