JamieCakeSF Elevates The Romance of a Chocolate Cake
The talented JamieCakeSF has shared some love with our community in the form of a delicious recipe to share with your sweetie! What could be more romantic on Valentine’s Day than chocolate and strawberries? This cake artist, famous for stunning styles with jaw dropping flair, loves to experiment with new, seasonal flavors, and techniques. Bridging her background in beauty, fashion, and art with cake decorating, each cake is made to order and is custom designed in collaboration with the client. Working closely to translate their narrative of who, and what event the cake is for, Jamie creates a visual story using flour, sugar, and eggs. If you have a special event that is deserving of a custom cake, we highly recommend this local, talented lady!
“This chocolate cake recipe is super moist and deeply chocolatey without being heavy. To take this cake from classic to romantic frost with lightly sweetened mascarpone whipped cream and fill with fresh strawberries.” ~ Jamie
What You’ll Need
- 2 8” round Chocolate cakes
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- 1lb fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed and sliced.
For The Chocolate Cake:
|All Purpose Flour||250g||2 cups|
|Granulated Sugar||350g||1 ¾ cup|
|Unsweetened Cocoa Powder||75g||¾ cup|
|Baking Powder||8g||2 teaspoon|
|Baking Soda||9g||1 ½ teaspoon|
|Espresso Powder||2g||1 teaspoon|
|Grapeseed Oil or Vegetable Oil||99g||½ cup|
|Eggs||2 large eggs|
|Vanilla Extract||9g||2 teaspoon|
|Hot Water (approximately 190 degrees)||237g||1 cup|
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare two 8 inch cake pans with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to the flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce to lowest speed and carefully add hot water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Notes The cake batter will be very thin after adding the boiling water. This is correct and results in a moist chocolate cake.
For the Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
|Heavy Whipping Cream||296 g||1 ¼ cups|
|Mascarpone Cheese (Cold)||226g||8 oz|
|Powdered Sugar||65g||½ cup|
|Vanilla Extract||5 g||1 teaspoon|
1. Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
2. Spoon cold mascarpone whipped into bowl and beat on medium-low speed. Slowly pour in the heavy cream, allowing the mascarpone cheese to turn to a liquid consistency.
3. Increase mixing speed to high and beat it until soft peaks form.
4. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beat on low until sugar is incorporated. Then increase to high speed until stiff peaks form.
Notes Cream is best prepared and used right away. Keep refrigerated.
- Slice the top off 1 cake round to make a flat surface.
- Spread bottom cake round with a thick layer of whipped cream.
- Top with a layer of strawberries.
- Top with the other cake round and spread with another thick layer of whipped cream.
- Top with remaining strawberries
- Slice and serve with any extra whipped cream and berries on the side.
Stay tuned for more from JamieCakeSF this spring!
Do you have a recipe to share with your Bay Meadows’ neighbors? Let’s talk! DM us on Instagram or Facebook @baymeadowlife.
Conveniently located between San Francisco and Palo Alto in San Mateo, Bay Meadows offers housing within walking distance of Caltrain. Ease of transportation is only one reason you’ll fall in love with Bay Meadows. Smartly-designed, high-quality new homes and apartments sit among 18 acres of open space, which includes parks, a community garden, public art, ball fields, bocce and basketball courts and a new playground. All this just a walk from Whole Foods, Blue Bottle Coffee, ROAM Artisan Burgers, Fieldwork Brewing Co., LIFT Fitness, Tin Pot Creamery, Bamboo Asia, Hillsdale Shopping Center and more. Learn more about what Midurban life offers by following us on Instagram or our Facebook page.