Get Pedaling: May Power Bike Month
May is National Bike Month! Promoted by bicycle coalitions and celebrated from the Pacific to the Atlantic, this year there are plenty of unique ways to connect during your ride! Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling as well as encourage many to take up biking and give it a try. Get pedaling and bring your mobile along to encourage your tribe to ride!
The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition is having a May Power Bike Month Challenge, giving participants a chance to win a prize! The more the merrier so get your family and friends to participate online as well by tagging them and sending them a link with all of the details. One prize will be awarded each week as well as on May 14 to a random person who posts as directed on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.* A second prize may be awarded to someone you tag in your post (you have to tag someone for them to win too).
- May 1 to 9 is Flower Power week
- Post a picture of flowers you see while on a bicycle ride and tag some friends, tag SVBC, and use #FlowerPowerSVBC
- May 10 to May 16 is People Power week
- Post a picture of yourself on your bike and tag some friends, tag SVBC, and use #PeoplePowerSVBC
- May 14 is Bike to Wherever Day!
- Our Bike to Work Day is postponed from May 14 to September 24 but you can still celebrate biking on May 14 by biking to wherever you can that day! Post a picture of your “Wherever” and tag some friends, tag SVBC, and use #BTWD2020
- May 17 to May 23 is Pedal Power week
- Post a picture of your shoe and pedal and tag some friends, tag SVBC, and use #PedalPowerSVBC
- May 24 to May 31 is Wheel Power week
- Post a picture of or through your bicycle wheel and tag some friends, tag SVBC, and use #WheelPowerSVBC
Tag SVBC using @bikesv for Twitter, @bikesiliconvalley on Instagram, and @bikesiliconvalley on Facebook.
Bicycling is the most efficient and healthy form of transportation there is. It is wonderful to see so many people biking everywhere on largely car-free streets all over Silicon Valley. Just riding on the streets in your local neighborhood is an excellent choice.
Be sure to visit their website for all the details. They have excellent local maps as well as a response to the Covid-19 situation regarding bicycling. Stay safe and have fun this month!
As we develop community, we want to see how you live or play at Bay Meadows and beyond. Share your fun San Mateo lifestyle photos with our community by using #baymeadowslife and check out our Twitter and Instagram profiles to stay updated on everything #baymeadowslife related. See how this blended lifestyle of a little bit urban and a little bit suburbs gives you the very best of Midurban living. For easier event, photo, and building updates, make sure to follow our Facebook page.
Image credit: @midpenopenspace